Skip to main content


Liability - Coverage you are REQUIRED TO PURCHASE

This is the amount your policy would pay for injured people or damaged property due to your negligence: Idaho Code §49-117 (18): "Proof of financial responsibility" means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability, on account of accidents occurring subsequent to the effective date of the proof, arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle, in the amount of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident, and, subject to the limit for one (1) person, in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) because of bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, and in the amount of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one (1) accident.

Medical Payments

This coverage is what the insurer (insurance company) agrees to reimburse passengers in your auto and you (insured policy holder) for medical or funeral expenses incurred as the result of bodily injury or death by accident under specified conditions, whether or not the insured is legally responsible for the accident. It will also cover you or members of your family if you are struck by an auto while walking or while riding in another auto.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Idaho Insurance Code §41-2502 states that no insurance policy covering liability will be delivered in the state unless coverage is provided for uninsured motorist in the limits required by Idaho Code §49-117. However, the named insured shall have the right to reject such coverage, which rejection must be in writing. This is a very important coverage providing state required limits to you in case you have bodily injuries due to an uninsured motorist.

There is no state requirement for property damage, just bodily injuries. You should ask your agent if your company provides uninsured motorist property damage. Typically the price for this coverage is minimal and is well worth the premium.


This coverage pays for damage to your auto from almost all causes other than collision, such as fire, vandalism, water, hail, glass breakage, wind and falling objects. It also pays if your auto or parts of the auto are stolen. However, there are some restrictions regarding coverage for electronic equipment and personal property.


This coverage pays if your auto collides with an object, including another auto.

Miscellaneous Coverages

  • Rental Reimbursement: This coverage will reimburse you for the cost of renting a vehicle if your auto is withdrawn from use for longer than 24 hours and the withdrawal is caused by a collision or a comprehensive loss. Ask your agent how much per day the coverage will pay and the maximum number of days it will cover.
  • Towing: This coverage will reimburse you for the cost of towing your vehicle and is typically purchased in amounts such as $50, $100 or $250 per tow.
  • Custom Equipment: This coverage is designed to insure equipment that is not standard to the vehicle: custom wheels, stereos, windows, lights, etc. If you have added or upgraded any equipment on your vehicle, advise your agent as to the value of that equipment and ask what your cost would be to the price to insure the added or upgraded equipment.
Cell Phone IconNeed more info? Contact us at 208 334-4319 or email us .
Consumer Affairs Officers are available to answer your questions 8-5 M-F MST