Effective July 1, 2018, the Idaho Department of Insurance will begin regulation of the Idaho Motor Vehicle Service Contract Act which had previously been
regulated by the Idaho Office of the Attorney General. The types of Motor Vehicle Service contracts covered under the act are limited.
For most service contracts, consumers may contact the Idaho Office of the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at (208)334-2424.
- Contracts that are Not Covered under the Idaho Motor Vehicle Service Contract Act
- Manufacturer guarantees or warranties
- Maintenance Agreements
- Mechanical Breakdown Insurance
- Theft Protection and warranties
Please contact the Idaho Department of Insurance Consumer Affairs for assistance in determining if we can assist with your motor vehicle service contract.
- Before you buy
- Read your contract to make sure you are getting what you "think" you are buying.
- Make sure you understand when coverage begins, and how long the coverage lasts.
- Make sure you understand what is and is NOT covered in the contract because there are almost always exclusions or limitations.
- If you decide to purchase the contract, be sure to get - and keep - a copy of the contract and your receipt.
Need more info? Contact us at 208 334-4319 or email us .
Consumer Affairs Officers are available to answer your questions 8-5 M-F MST