Idaho lawmakers passed legislation that will go into effect July 1, 2017 eliminating licensing requirements at
the retail and individual level for Travel insurance. Licensing will be required of the wholesale entity and a
designated responsible licensed producer. The licensed wholesale entity will oversee the retail outlets and
sales staff offering travel insurance directly to the consumer.
This change brings with it the requirement to annually report the retail outlets and individuals authorized under
the wholesaler’s travel license, along with annual travel premium sales for Idaho. Please use the travel insurance
online portal on the Limited Lines page for this purpose.
These revisions also limit the activities allowed in connection with the sale of travel insurance to the public by
unlicensed retail sales staff, who may disseminate the travel brochures and refer consumers to the licensed
wholesaler for quotes and advice.
The Idaho Department of Insurance Limited Lines Producer
Pre-Licensing Manual contains in depth information regarding specific Limited Lines licensing requirements,
Idaho Code and definitions.
It is recommended this manual be bookmarked, referenced, and reviewed often as a resource for limited line
Below are some highlights:
Unlike major lines of authority such as Life, Disability, Property, and Casualty, a limited lines producer
license restricts the authority to less than the total authority prescribed in the associated major lines.
In Idaho, limited lines include but are not limited to:
- Credit insurance – credit life, credit disability, credit property, credit unemployment, involuntary
unemployment, mortgage life, mortgage guaranty, mortgage disability, guaranteed automobile protection
- Travel insurance – transportation baggage insurance, transportation ticket policies covering personal
- Pet insurance
Other differences include:
- There is no examination required for the above lines. However, it is required to read the
Limited Lines Producer Pre-Licensing Manual
and send a signed attestation with application. See below for change to travel insurance licensing requirements.
- There are no Continuing Education requirements for resident Limited Lines producers
- Limited Lines licenses are authorized and issued an Idaho Producer’s License
Surety and Portable Electronics are also considered Limited Lines, although the licensing requirements for
these lines of authority are different and Travel limited line requirements have been updated.
- Surety (if carried alone without the Casualty major line of authority) requires an examination prior
to licensure. Please review
Idaho Code 40-507
for more information regarding Surety.
- Portable Electronics is only available to business entities. Please review the
Portable Electronics portion of our website for more
information regarding this license type.
- Travel limited line licensing is only required of wholesale entities, along with their designated responsible licensed
producer. Wholesalers must report at application, and annually thereafter, the retail outlets and individuals authorized
under the wholesaler’s license, along with Idaho annual written premium for travel insurance, which can be submitted through
a portal on the limited lines page.