Official Government Website

Licensing and COVID-19

Please recognize that this is a fluid situation and day to day adjustments will occur.

We are working with our vendors for updates, but most services are currently available through NIPR and   Vertafore for Idaho. Currently, all functionality is in place except for resident testing and fingerprinting.

We wish everyone a safe future!

Are residents able to test and fingerprint at this time?

Our exam/fingerprint vendor, PSI, has announced closure of the exam sites in Idaho until further notice. Our website has instructions for rescheduling after that date—but certainly stay tuned for updates

Is there a delay in processing brought on by current conditions?

Applications are currently being processed at the normal pace—typically within one or two business days. However, there may be a slowdown in processing time with the transition of some staff members working remotely.

Is there an extension for CE or renewal at this time?

There is NO impact at this time to the availability of our website for access to forms and/or the services of our online vendors, NIPR and Vertafore, for online transactions. Renewals are available 90 days prior to expiration. CE can be done anytime over the two-year period between renewals and Idaho requires providers to download CE credits. Idaho does not require proctoring of exams or have a classroom requirement—all courses can be completed through online means.

Is the process to submit a service request changed?

If you need to submit a service request using a DOI form, all can be received by email or fax for processing per usual.

What is the best method to send documentation to the Idaho DOI?

You can still use the NIPR reporting and document warehouses and the Vertafore attachment systems for applications, reporting of actions and renewal documentation. Any service requests not available as an online transaction can be sent directly to

Will you be issuing temporary licenses?

The Idaho Department of Insurance is not issuing temporary licenses at this time.

Will CE deadlines be extended?

Due to the number of online courses (currently over 4000), and two vendors whose services for online renewal are still available, there is currently no decision to extend CE or renewal deadlines at this time. Certainly, we would consider extreme circumstances and those directly impacted by COVID-19 on a case-by-case basis, or until online services are impacted or no longer available. Idaho does not require classroom courses, live or virtual proctors for webinar course exams and many providers are converting classroom courses, even conferences, to webinar format for greater flexibility and availability.

How are the normal processes and services impacted at this time?

We highly encourage online transactions (NIPR & Sircon/Vertafore), accessing our website and sending email communications to so we can respond as needed and continue to get the work done in an efficient manner.

How can I check on the status of my application?

Typically, you can check on the status of your online transaction by checking with the vendor you submitted through and we recommend that. Idaho sends license copies via email upon issue and where a renewal application must be pended for some kind of diligence check.

How can I get a license copy if one is not sent to me?

We have a free license copy service on our site.

What services are unavailable/disrupted at this time?

At this point in time, there is no disruption of work, we are not shutdown as to our usual licensing services or functions—other than the exam vendor services—which should be temporary.

How are appointment renewals being processed?

Idaho does not require renewal of appointments, so that process is unchanged/not impacted. Appointments are perpetual until a license lapses or they are terminated and that is also true of agency associations.

What services are unavailable/disrupted at this time?

 At this point in time, there is no disruption of work, we are not shutdown as to our usual licensing services or functions—only working remotely and the exam vendor services shutdown—which should be temporary. Recommend email communications, rather than phones to

What are bail agents, who must fingerprint for renewal supposed to do that if there is no close access to those services?

Bail agents wishing to renew and obtaining fingerprints through local sheriff’s offices that may be closed for fingerprinting, please contact us and let us know at Complete the renewal and CE and, when/where available, get fingerprints done using the Bail fingerprint packet. If we are notified of a necessary delay, we will keep the license active/renew it while awaiting fingerprint results.

If there is an issue finding an available notary for forms requiring notarization, can we submit without?

Until further notice, the requirement for notarization found on Department forms, in cases of inactivation of a license, will be waived. This will include requests for Clearance (to move to another state) and all Voluntary Surrender requests.

Will you be issuing temporary producer or adjuster licenses?

The Idaho Department of Insurance has set up the option for a provisional license for adjusters at this time. To qualify, you must do the following:

  • Sign up for and take the AdjusterPro provisional course plus comprehensive exam for independent adjuster and pass with 80% score or better. Our website link has a specific link for adjuster course and comprehensive exam:
  • Put in application by paper, pay fee of $80 and attach AdjusterPro certification of passed exam, background documentation and, in lieu of fingerprints, a signed attestation, see website check list for provisional license:
  • As a measure of consumer protection and in lieu of fingerprints, a provisional license requires a sponsoring agency or carrier supervising licensed producer who will oversee their work and conduct and be accountable to the Department of Insurance for the period in which their license is temporary/provisional. The Department may also initiate a background check service in the meantime.
  • This license will be good for up to six-months or until Bulletin 20-XX is withdrawn, at which time, the provisional licensee will have 30 days to pass the state exam(s) and fingerprint. Provisional licenses do not renew automatically. They will need to submit results (pass slips and receipts, etc.) to the Department by fax (208-334-4398) or email ( in order to become permanently licensed. The application process will not need to be repeated. e. Should background report have discrepancies with what has been reported on the original application, this would be grounds for revocation of the provisional license and reapplication would not be possible for one year past that date.

Are residents able to test to add lines of authority for their license?

Yes, the following instructions have been posted to our website on this page:

  • Sign up for and take the AD Banker provisional course plus comprehensive exam for each line of authority you are adding and pass with 80% score or better. Our website link has a specific link for these courses and the provisional exam registration: ALTERNATIVE: you may purchase study materials from another Idaho approved vendor, with the option to sign up for the exam-only through AD Banker.
  • Complete the Idaho Add Lines Request form. Attach AD Banker certification of passed exam(s) and this checklist and email to or fax to 208-334-4398.
  • You will have 30 days to pass the actual state exam(s) through PSI, once they are available for testing, for any lines of authority added provisionally, or the line will be removed from your license. get this instruction sheet on the same page as above.

Will provisional licensees be able to license in nonresident states?

The consensus among states AND the current directive from the NAIC, is that these temporary licenses—issued without a state exam or background check, do NOT translate into nonresident licenses due to those factors. Regulators from other states want reassurance that this will not be possible, so Idaho is going to be creating a temporary license type that does not map to a nonresident producer license, as are all other states currently allowing for temporary license. It allows a measure of protection limited to resident business and training/internship until the license can be converted to a permanent license status through taking a state exam and fingerprinting. The hope is that we will have testing and fingerprinting through our exam vendor in May or June. But as you may realize, under current circumstances, there is no way to reliably predict those timelines.

Will a person with an active sentence or unresolved case be considered for licensure?


Have more questions?
Contact the Licensing Team

ver: 3.5.1 | last updated: