Non-residents moving to Idaho must license as residents within 90 days of moving to Idaho or within 90 days of cancellation of their former domicile state’s license, whichever is first. If the licensee does not apply for their Idaho license within that time frame they may have to retest for their lines of authority in Idaho.
Please follow the 6 steps bellow to ensure the process goes smoothly.
1: Be a resident of Idaho.
- You need to have proof of residency in order to have your fingerprints processed. Examples: Idaho drivers license, lease agreement, utility bill etc.
2: Have your Fingerprints taken at a PSI location in Idaho.
- Click here for locations, directions, and available times.
- If you live more than 100 miles from a testing center, please click here and scroll to the bottom of the page for an alternative option. Please note, taking the alternate option will add 6-8 weeks to your processing time.
- There is non-refundable fingerprinting fee of $70.
- You will receive two receipts: a payment receipt and another receipt showing the TCN tracking number. Keep the receipt with the tracking number as you will need it later in the process.
- You will receive a copy of the CHRI release/Non-Criminal Justice form, keep that as well.
3: Wait 2-3 days before going to step 4 (optional).
- Fingerprints typically take 7-10 business days to process. Waiting a few days between having them taken and applying will minimize down time between home state licenses. There is no way to avoid down time completely.
4: Request a “Letter of Clearance” from your home state.
- Once the Letter of Clearance is issued you will no longer have a license to sell insurance in your old home state.
5: Make your Application Packet.
This packet must include:
- The completed paper application
- The Fingerprint Receipt (step 2)
- The completed CHRI Release Form (step 2)
- The Letter of Clearance from your home state. (step 4)
- The non-refundable application fee of $8000. This can be a check or money order made out to “Idaho Department of Insurance”
6: Deliver the Application Packet
- Send the complete Application Packet to:
Idaho Department of Insurance
700 West State Street Floor 3
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0043