Official Government Website

Bail Agent

Idaho issues licenses for Bail to individuals and agencies as well as residents and non-residents. Any producer holding a Bail license must also provide the Department with an original bond in the amount of $15,000 as well as an appointment to a Surety company before the license will be issued. Both the bond and appointment must be maintained, or the license will be deactivated.

Idaho Code

Idaho Statutes: Chapter 10 (General):

§41-1003 (Definitions)

§41-1004 (License Required)

§41-1005 (Exceptions to Licensing)

§41-1006 (Examination)

§41-1007 (Licensing Requirements)

§41-1008 (Reinstatements, Military, 30 Day Address Change Requirement)

§41-1009 (State to State Address Change and Reciprocity)

§41-1011 (Refusal of License)

§41-1012 (Exemption from Exam and 90 day rule)

§41-1013 (Renewal/Reinstatement and late CE penalty requirements)

§41-1014 (Assumed Names)

§41-1018 (Appointments)

§41-1020 (Reciprocity)

§41-1021 (Reporting of Actions)

§41-1026 (Conditions of Suspension and Revocation)

§41-1028 (Inactive Status)

§41-1036 (Record Retention)

Chapter 10 (Bail Specific):

§41-1037 (Requirements for Bail Agents)

§41-1038 (Definitions)

§41-1039 (License Requirement)

§41-1039A (Notification to Judicial system and Sureties of Revocation/Suspension or lift thereof)

§41-1040 (Bond Requirement)

§41-1041 (Collections and Charges Permitted)

§41-1042 (Collateral)

§41-1043 (Early Surrender of Defendant to Custody)

§41-1044 (Responsibility for Actions of Others)

§41-1045 (Reporting of Actions)

§41-507 (Definition of Surety Insurance)

Title 19 Criminal Procedure / Chapter 29 Idaho Bail Act :

§19-2905 (Definitions)

§19-2914 (Arrest of a Defendant for Surrender)

Title 30:

§30-21-801 through §30-21-810 (Use of a DBA/Assumed Business Name)


Idaho Criminal Rule (ICR) and Idaho Misdemeanor Criminal Rule (IMCR):
Statewide Guidelines for the Uniform Administration of Bail and Bail Bonds in all Trial Courts in the State of Idaho

IDAPA Rule 18:

18.06.01 Rules Pertaining to Bail Agents

18.06.02 Producers Handling of Fiduciary Funds

18.01.02 Schedule of Fees, Licenses, and other Misc. Charges

18.06.04 Continuing Education Stacking of Bonds Criminal History Checks

Bulletin 11-01 Money Handling and Fiduciary Funds

Bulletin 11-05 Bail Rules Updates


Bail Agent: a producer licensed in the line of surety insurance and authorized by an insurer to execute or countersign undertakings of bail in connection with judicial proceedings.

For a full list of insurance licensing terms please click here.


All Bail agents, resident and non-resident must carry a $15,000 performance bond, using the Department bond form secured from a Surety Company, along with an appointment to the Surety Company.

If a bond is cancelled, a notice will be sent to the bail agent to remind them of the requirement and the Department will request a replacement. A bond agent/agency will have 21 days from the date of receipt of this notice or until bond cancellation date to replace the bond and appointment. Failure to respond within the required time will result in termination of the license.

To secure a bond, please download the Bond and Appointment forms and send to an authorized surety company. Once these forms are returned from the surety company, sign the bond form and forward both forms to the Department of Insurance.

Include the original application or submit separately if applying online.

Submit these forms any time before a current bond and appointment will be cancelled and require replacement to avoid cancellation of license – if this pending cancellation is due to a change in agency, please provide complete updated contact information with the new bond and appointment.

How to Apply

Resident Application Process

Step 1: Pass the Bail Agent Exam. For information on testing click here.

Step 2: Have your fingerprints taken at an Idaho PSI Location. For more information on fingerprints click here.

Step 3: Obtain an Appointment to a Surety company.

Step 4: Acquire a bond in the amount of $15,000. The bond must be on the DOI’s bond form.

Step 5: Send the original bond to:

Idaho Department of Insurance
700 W State Street, 3rd Floor
PO Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0043

Step 6:  Apply online via NIPR. There is a Non-Refundable Fee of $80.

Step 7: Send the following to or upload them to the Documents Warehouse.

Non-Resident Application Process

Step 1: Hold a Bail Agent License in your home state.

Step 2: Obtain an Appointment to a Surety company.

Step 3: Acquire a bond in the amount of $15,000. The bond must be on the DOI’s bond form.

Step 4: Send the original bond to:

Idaho Department of Insurance
700 W State Street, 3rd Floor
PO Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0043

Step 5:  Apply online via NIPR. There is a Non-Refundable Fee of $80.

Continuing Education

Bail agents must show 24 hours of CE credits total with a minimum of three credits in Ethics.

Residents must have their CE downloaded prior to renewal. CE status can be tracked by clicking on Individual CE Transcript Inquiry .

Approved courses can be found in the CE course catalog on the Continuing Education pages.

CE providers have 30 days from course completion to upload CE credits. Renewals cannot be submitted until the credits are uploaded.

Renewal Information

The Department considers the renewal of the license to be the responsibility of the licensee. Licenses can be renewed via NIPR.

Bail licenses need to be renewed every two years. A renewal may be applied for up to six weeks prior to the expiration of your license.

Renewal Requirements


If the license was not renewed before the expiration date, the license will require reinstatement. 

Reinstatement is available up to one year past the expiration of the license.

Resident Fee Reinstatement Fee

  • If all CE was completed prior to expiration, no CE was required the Non-Refundable fee is $120.
  • If CE was completed within 30 days after the expiration of the license the Non-Refundable fee is $220.00
  • If CE was completed within 60 days after the expiration of the license the Non-Refundable fee is $320.00
  • If CE was completed within 90 days after the expiration of the license the Non-Refundable fee is $420.00

Non-Resident Reinstatement Fee

The non-refundable reinstatement fee is $120.

Reinstatement Checklist (Resident and Non-Resident):

Idaho Department of Insurance
700 W State Street, 3rd Floor
PO Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0043

  • Apply for the reinstatement via NIPR.  Note: The page will say you are submitting a renewal, this is correct. Reinstatements are a subcategory of renewals.

Reporting of Actions

All license holders  have a duty to report any criminal or administrative actions to the Idaho Department of Insurance within 30 days per §41-5819

We encourage producers to use the NIPR Reporting of Actions  Warehouse at as a convenient means to post your documents and explanations to report to us and any state in which you are licensed.


Where can I get a copy of my license?

You can get a free copy of your license from the SBS License Manager.

Where do I get my bond?

You must contact a Surety company providing performance bonds to Bail agents and send them the bond and appointment form from our website. Many bail agencies are set up with specific Surety companies and can help you to expedite. Click here for more information.

What happens if I lose my bond or appointment?

You will be notified by the Department if you lose your bond. You will have 21 days from the date of the notification to replace bond and appointment. You must send the original bond and authorized appointment form from the Surety company. Failure to replace the bond and appointment will result in termination of the license. Loss of the appointment is an immediate termination of license if there are no other appointments in place. If this occurs, you need to replace both bond and appointment as outlined above. If this loss of bond represents a change of agency, notify us of your new contact information at the same time. We encourage the use of our bail reactivation packet if the license is terminated.

How do I apply for a license?

Click here for instructions for applying for a license.

How long does it take for an application to be processed?

There are many factors that go into the processing time of an application. The department can typically process a non-resident individual license application within 1-2 business days of receiving all documentation.

Many factors can increase the processing time, including but not limited to:

  • Fingerprints. Processing time does not include the time waiting for fingerprints. Your application is not considered complete until the fingerprints are processed and returned to the DOI. For more information on fingerprinting click here.
  • Background Issues. If you have criminal offense that needs reviewed your application will be on hold while it is reviewed. You can speed up this process by ensuring that all needed documents are submitted with your application or are already uploaded to the NIPR Document warehouse. For more information on Criminal Offenses and licensing click here.
  • Applying by paper instead of online. While there are licenses that must apply via paper most can be applied for online. Applying by paper process can add upwards of 4-7 days, not including shipping time to the turnaround time.
  • Inaccurate information. Make sure that everything is correct in your application, including addresses, before submitting.
  • Missing Items. Ensure that you have everything on your Application Checklist completed and ready to submit together with the application. Ensuring that all documents are submitted together will help speed the process.

How long is my license good for?

Your license will expire after two years if you do not apply for and are granted a renewal. Licenses expire on the last day of your birth month.

When can I apply to Renew my license?

You can apply for renewal up to 90 days before the expiration date. We recommend that you have your CE complete before applying for renewal.

There is no grace period for license Renewal. If you do not apply for a renewal and have complete CE by your expiration date your license will be suspended.

For example, if you are born in August and you have not applied for a renewal your license will be suspended on August 31st.

How do I renew my license?

Click here for information on renewing your license.

Do I have to get my fingerprints taken when I renew?

Yes, click here form more information.

How far in advance should I have my fingerprints done so that it will not delay my renewal?

We recommend at least 8 weeks prior to your expiration. Remember, we cannot renew your license without the fingerprint report return

If my fingerprint results have NOT been returned to the Department prior to the expiration of my license, can I still do business?

No. You do not have a current license to perform bail transactions until the report is received and the renewal processed by the Department.

How much CE do I need to continue my license?

Resident Bail Agents are required to complete 24 hours, with a minimum of three (3) hours in the Ethics. Click here for more information

How long do I have to get my Continuing Education (CE) done?

You can do your CE at any time, however we do recommend that you have it complete at least 30 days BEFORE your license renewal is due. There is no grace period for CE compliance.  If CE is not completed by the renewal date a late CE penalty will need to be paid before the license can be re-instated.

How do I reinstate my license?

Click here for information on reinstating your license.

How long do I have to Reinstate a lapsed license?

1 year, click here for more information.

How do I change the name on my license?

In order to change the name on your license you will need to submit the Name Change Form along with proof of legal name change, to the Department. Examples of accepted forms are Marriage Certificates, Divorce decree (showing a court ordered name change), Driver’s License, Passport or Legal Order. DO NOT SEND YOUR SOCIAL SEUCIRTY CARD.

How do I change my contact information (address, phone number, email address) on my personal license?

Click here to change your contact information.  Once updated, allow 24 hours for the updated information to appear on our website.

How do DBAs work in relation to my license?

For information on DBA’s please visit our DBA page.

How long does it take for the website to reflect changes made by the Department of Insurance?

Any changes to your record are usually reflected within 24-48 hours of the change.

How do I switch my license from Non-resident to Resident?

Click here for a step-by-step guide to changing your non-resident license to resident.

How do I surrender/cancel my license?

There is no negative consequence or penalty in Idaho for allowing your license to lapse for failure to renew. However, if you want to voluntarily surrender your license, you may submit the appropriate Voluntary Surrender Request form. The form can be found on the Departments Forms/Links page.

What is the Pre-Licensing Candidate Handbook and why do I need it?

This is a booklet prepared and provided by PSI to guide you through the testing procedures and requirements. It provides important information and phone numbers and can answer many questions you might have regarding what to expect and how to prepare and arrange for your exams and fingerprints.

Have more questions?
Contact the Licensing Team

ver: 3.5.1 | last updated: